Libertys Price Forum
December 16, 2017, 12:59:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dime/Washer Drills  (Read 9065 times)
Muddogg
Active Poster

That's one angry hog.

« on: April 19, 2007, 07:47:56 PM »

Do the instructors go over dime/washer drills at either the boot camp or the Saturday training?

If not it is a good exercise for practicing a rifleman's trigger pull, and I would be happy to make a post about it! Please let me know moderators!

-The Muddogg
DrPacer
Master Poster

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »

yup

3 minutes without air (oxygen)
3 hours without shelter (from extreme exposure)
3 days without water
3 weeks without food
fred
Poster Extraordinaire

Rifleman-instructor

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:59:48 PM »

There's prob variation from instructor to instructor.

I usually don't mention it to the Appleseed group as a whole, but will mention it to coaches who have hard core flinchers.

It should definitely be covered in boot camp.

It works better with some people than with others...

New RWVA bumpersticker: "Ornell Fuggett Lives!
RWVA.org"

New RWVA Instructor shirt: "The beatings will continue until the marksmanship improves!"

TEXAS! #2 on the Appleseed Hit Parade!
Muddogg
Active Poster

That's one angry hog.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »

All right, I was thinking of putting a post up on it, but I guess that is unnecessary.  Thanks for your replys!  Grin

-The Muddogg
Willard
Occasional Poster

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »

I used the dime-washer drill all the time on my trainees up to BRM time. Any time we had weapons and down time that's what they did. I think it works, as the most trainees I ever had not get a first time "go" at qualification time was 1 (out of 57 Joes) and he should have been recycled or discharged long before BRM time.
Doing it often instills muscle memory-if the only way they know how to pull the trigger is the right way, it stays with them, at least for the short term.
Buckshot
Enthusiastic Poster

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 09:38:25 PM »

The dime-washer drill usually works better in situations where you have your trainees split into two relays.

That way one can practice while the other puts the dime or washer on the rifle, instead of the instructors circulating up and down the line doing it.

The trainee currently not on the rifle can sit to the right of the person currently on the rifle with their back to the muzzle and place the dime or washer on the rifle easily and safely.

Much more of a pain if the instructor has to keep circulating and placing the dime or washer.

Buckshot

M1A4ME
Will I ever be as good as I was?
Poster Extraordinaire

Live long, shoot alot, hit the intended target.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:30:24 PM »

Never did it with a rifle.  Is the rifle easier than doing it with a GI 45?  Used to do it with one of those when I was on the Old Guard Combat Pistol Team.  When you first start it's hard to believe you can drop that hammer and keep a dime on the pistol but with a little practice it gets pretty easy. 

Muddogg
Active Poster

That's one angry hog.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »

Never did it with a rifle.  Is the rifle easier than doing it with a GI 45?  Used to do it with one of those when I was on the Old Guard Combat Pistol Team.  When you first start it's hard to believe you can drop that hammer and keep a dime on the pistol but with a little practice it gets pretty easy. 

It's a little bit harder since the circumference of a barrel is smaller than the top of a 1911, I would imagine. If you have your NPOA down and your trigger pull correct the dime will not fall off, which is why we use it.

-The Muddogg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: