Libertys Price Forum
December 16, 2017, 01:00:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to pass on:  (Read 694 times)
jarhead613
Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat their mistakes. Shoot Rifleman, it'll make you a better person.
Enthusiastic Poster

U.S. Marine Sniper "Noli umquam oblivisci"

« on: April 23, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »

As so many of us have experienced things in the course of our military career, how do we pass on these memories to the young? How to convey the depth of feeling, the surges of adrenaline, the terror, the joy, the brotherhood of shared dangers? Words do no justice. There is no such thing as a Vulcan Mind-Meld. Those of us who can paint do so with heart-wrenching results. Very few of us know how to put these things into the printed word so that generations afterwards can read, weep, laugh, grieve, and exult with us in our moments of peril, victory, horror, and exaltation.
How do you tell the young of the relief and honor of graduating from boot camp? The trepidation and fear of your first duty station? Of standing on the railing of your ship, watching the deep blue Atlantic Ocean roll under your ship with the salt spray stinging your nostrils? The claustrophobic/womblike atmosphere of the sleeping berths deep within an LST?
The SLAP/ZING of rounds going past your head? The eye-watering, head-jarring thud of nearby explosives?
The death of friends?
The smell of the inside of a Bradley?
An amtrak?
A Mike boat on the way to the beach, throttles wide open, spray everywhere, vomit on the deck, whites of the eyes showing, heart pumping, ready to go let's kick some ass attitude?
Marching in a parade, medals on , uniform immaculate, crowd cheering, tears in your eyes?
The knowledge that you did, in your own small way, make a difference.
That you were, for a brief time in your life, a member of the United States Military. That regardless of what you do with the rest of your life, you were a hero. For just a little while.  More than can be said for a lot of people.

Jarhead
RGrosz
Occasional Poster

What a Maroon ( B Bunny)

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:56:34 AM »

Amen
I joined the USAR to stay out of 'Nam. It worked and I served with a lot of 'Nam vets and up to the first war in the sandbox. Never got called although was ready. A lot of those under me are now serving over there playing in the sand and towns. I think Jarhead caught it right.

Rob

It's hard to keep in mind the object is to drain the swamp when you're up to your ass in alligators.

Rob
Oohrah
Enthusiastic Poster

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 02:02:32 AM »

Proud of you Jarhead Grin
Semper Fi
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: